World & Local
- A court in Pakistan overturns the convictions of four men for the murder of Daniel Pearl. The men have been jailed for 18 years.
- Manolis Glezos, a prominent Greek whose act of defiance against Nazi occupation during World War Two was a rallying cry for the country’s resistance movement died.
- Thomas Schaefer Finance Minister of Hesse (Germany), 54 years old, has committed suicide apparently after becoming “deeply worried” over how to cope with the economic fallout from the Coronavirus.
- Spanish Princess of Bourbon-Parma has become the first royal to pass away due to Covid-19 complications Maria Teresa
- World-renowned virologist Gita Ramjee, aged nearly 50 years, passed away in Johannesburg, South Africa, due to Coronavirus. She was the stellar vaccine scientist and an HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus) prevention research leader.
- Former Bangladesh Army officer is executed for his involvement in the 1975 assassination of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the country’s first president. Abdul Majed
- NZ health minister breaks lockdown at beach- David Clark
- World War Two veteran has raised an astonishing 15 million pounds ($19 million) for the National Health Service (NHS) as it fights the coronavirus epidemic – by walking 100 laps of his garden. Tom Moore
- Lesotho’s embattled prime minister Thomas Thabane announced he had sent troops onto the streets to “restore order”, accusing unnamed law enforcement agencies of undermining democracy.
- The United States Navy has said that it will host the world’s largest maritime exercises ‘Rim of the Pacific’ in Hawaii again this year, but the drills will only be held at sea because of the Coronavirus.
- Duckworth-Lewis co-inventor Tony Lewis dies, aged 78
- Legendary F1 driver and broadcaster dies after long illness- Sir Stirling Moss
- The official mascots of the 19th Asian Games, to be from 10 to 25 September 2022, were unveiled at a 20 minutes digital launch ceremony in Hangzhou, China. Congcong, Lianlian and Chenchen,
- Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack 2020 edition, named Ben Stokes of England and Ellyse Perry of Australia as the Leading male and female cricketer of the World 2020. Wisden also named Jofra Archer, Pat Cummins, Simon Harmer, Marnus Labuschagne and Ellyse Perry as the Five Cricketers of the Year. All-rounder Andre Russell has been named as Leading T20 Cricketer in the World 2020.
- Former Pakistani first-class Cricketer Zafar Sarfraz passed away at 50 due to Coronavirus
- Alireza Firouzja,a 16-year-old Iranian chess player, has defeated world chess champion Sven Magnus Oen Carlsen of Norway in the final of the Banter Blitz Cup 2020-
- Former Pakistan women’s skipper announced her retirement from international cricket, ending a 15 year long illustrious career. Sana Mir
Arts & Entertainment
- Paul McCartney‘s handwritten copy of The Beatles‘ “Hey Jude” is sold in a virtual auction for US$910,000, almost six times its estimated value.
- Honor Blackman,the British actress who played Pussy Galore in the James Bond film Goldfinger, has died at the age of 94.
- A Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter for The Washington Post has written an unauthorized biography of first lady Melania Trump. Mary Jordan’s “The Art of Her Deal,”
- Gene Deitch,an American Oscar-winning illustrator, animator, film director and producer creator of tom and jerry ,Popey has died.
- Rishi Kapoor, Bollywood star, dies of leukaemia aged 67.He won Filmfare Award for Best Actor for Bobby
- Irrfan Khan, one of Bollywood’s most beloved stars who had achieved considerable success in the west, has died aged 53.Film Fair Best Actor for –Hindi medium
Science & Business
- The European Space Agency/JAXA space probe makes its final gravity assist around Earth, and is now on course for Venus, where it will make several gravity assist manoeuvres before finally arriving at Mercury in 2025. BepiColombo
- NASA unveils plan to setup the first human base camp on Moon’s south pole by 2024. ‘Artemis’, NASA officially selects SpaceX, Blue Origin and Dynetics to build its next-generation lunar lander to carry American astronauts to the Moon by 2024.