World & Local
- Grayson Perry has become the first British visual artist since Henry Moore in 1968 to win the prestigious and lucrative Erasmus prize.
- Luxembourg becomes first country with free public transport.
- Yvonne Farrell and Shelley McNamara win the Pritzker Architecture Prize.
- becomes the prime minister of Malaysia following a political crisis–Muhyiddin Yassin
- Egypt reopens the Pyramid of Djoser after a 14-year restoration. The pyramid is deemed the oldest stone structure of its size in the world.
- Slovenia’s lawmakers have approved the Leader of Slovenian Democratic Party (SDS), Janez Jansa as Slovenia’s new Prime Minister.
- TIME Magazine created 100 New Covers for the Project ‘100 women of the year’ to recognize selected women or groups to represent each year from 1920 to 2019. India’s Freedom Fighter Amrit Kaur will be honored as ‘Women of the Year’ for 1947 & Former prime minister Indira Gandhi for 1976.
- Former UN Chief, who served as United Nations Secretary General from 1981 to 1991, Javier Perez de Cuellar passed away.
- Sri Lanka will host the next Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) summit in September this year.
- Hashem Abedi the brother of Manchester Arena bomber Salman Ramadan Abedi, is found guilty of 22 murders,
- Niue has become the world’s first whole country recognised as a ‘Dark Sky Place’ by the International Dark-Sky Association’s (IDA), which has approved the island’s application for the protection of its sky, land and sea.
- Australian officials closed Sydney’s iconic Bondi Beach after thousands of people flocked there in recent days, defying social distancing orders to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, amid an unusually warm autumn spell.
- Christchurch shooting: pleads guilty to New Zealand mosque attacks that killed 51- Brenton Tarrant
- Abel Prize 2020 won by– Hillel Furstenberg & Gregory Margulis
- Olympic Flame Handover to-Naoko Imoto
- North Macedonia becomes a NATO member state.
- America’s civil rights leader Joseph Echols Lowery passed away at the age of 98 in Atlanta, Georgia, US (United States). He was the key ally of Martin Luther King in the US civil rights movement of the 1960s.
- Team Ineos directeur sportif dies aged 40- Nicolas Portal
- Dana Zatopkova, the 1952 Olympic javelin champion and wife of four-time Olympic champion Emil Zatopek, passed away. She was 97.
Science & Business
- Former Chairman & CEO of General Electric, Jack Welch passed away at 84
- Carbon more than 8,000 years old has been found inside the world’s deepest blue hole ‘the Yongle Blue Hole (YBH) which was recently discovered in the South China Sea.
- Catherine Hamlin with her husband, New Zealander Reginald Hamlin, co-founded the Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, the world’s only medical centre dedicated exclusively to providing free obstetric fistula repair surgery to poor women suffering from childbirth injuries died
- Edwin Catmull and Pat Hanrahan receive the Turing Award for their work on computer-generated imagery.
Arts & Entertainment
- British novelist Hilary Mantel unveiled the final installment on Wednesday of her Tudor trilogy about Thomas Cromwell, the blacksmith’s son who rose to be King Henry VIII’s most powerful adviser only to fall from grace and meet a gruesome end.
- Roman Polanski cast a shadow over France’s Cesar Awards on Friday even as he won best directing for his film “An Officer and a Spy,” with several women in the audience walking out in protest at honoring a man facing rape accusations.
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit confirms a 2016 ruling that Led Zeppelin‘s 1971 song Stairway to Heaven was not unlawfully copied from Spirit‘s instrumental Taurus, overturning the so-called inverse ratio rule test.
- Former movie producer was sentenced on Wednesday to 23 years in prison for sexual assault and rape after giving a rambling court statement . Harvey Weinstein
- Oscar-winning actor Tom Hanks and his wife, actress Rita Wilson, have both tested positive for coronavirus in Australia, the actor said on Twitter.
- Kenny Rogers the American country music star with hits popular across the world, has died of natural causes
- Albert Uderzo French comic-book artist, who created Asterix with the writer René Goscinny, dies.
- The Singer Laren(Netherlands) museum says that the Vincent van Gogh painting The Parsonage Garden at Nuenenwas stolen in a raid.